[kde-linux] kde kills background jobs on exit

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Jan 20 13:41:09 UTC 2006

Rod Butcher wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Rod Butcher wrote:

>>>I find that if I use a KDE session to start a longrunning background job
>>>(e.g. BOINC setiathome, not using X) and it's not running in a terminal,
>>>just sending all its output to a file, when I close the KDE session it
>>>kills the background job as well.

>> Use nohup to start the background process.

> Thanks, but isn't this overkill (pun intentional) ? What if I really do
> want to hangup the program ? To me the real question is, why does kde
> kill it, if that's what is indeed happening.

IMO, kde's behavior is proper.  You kill a process' parent shell, it kills
all sibling processes.  Not sure how/why gnome is different.

If you don't want that, then that's exactly what nohup is for: (from it's
info page):
`nohup' runs the given COMMAND with hangup signals ignored, so that the
command can continue running in the background after you log out.

-- Rex