[kde-linux] Strange network printing problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 16:38:01 UTC 2006

A laptop with kde 3.3/Debian Sarge installed was printing merrily across
the lan.  Suddenly it was no longer possible to see the printer in
kwrite, or any other kde app.  I can print from the command line with
lpr, and lpq returns the correct printer name and a ready status.

/etc/printcap was pointing to a non-existant dot-matrix printer.  I
checked the same file on this box which uses the same printer and found
nothing but the comment lines.  Commenting out the lp lines on the
laptop resulted in an empty drop-down list (apart from virtual
printers) in kwrite.

I have tried reinstalling cups client, but that makes no difference.
The cups client.conf still carries the correct server name.  It seems
to be entirely a kde print problem.

In kcontrol, printers section, under Print Server the entries in the
drop-down box are greyed out.

I'm getting desperate - I have been without a printer for three days
now.  Has anyone any ideas at all?