[kde-linux] Strange network printing problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 10:08:09 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 11 Jan 2006 22:48, Thomas Taylor wrote:

Hi, Tom.  Thanks for replying.
> Don't know about advice yet.  First some questions.
>
> Did you do some kind of upgrade/update prior to the problem?

I did security updates, and installed some additional packages.

> What
> kernel are you using?

2.4.27.

> I have kde 3.5 under FC4 which MAY work differently.  I use
> system-config-printer from cli to set up printers which puts printer
> info into /etc/cups/printers.conf.  /etc/printcap should get it's
> info from there via the cupsd(8).  I'm running two printers, a laser
> on the network, and an inkjet from the parallel port.

Thanks for sending your configs.  Part of the problem is that I'm not
yet familiar with debian, so there may be a tool that I'm unaware of
that would help here.  However, since printing from the CLI works, it
does seem to be a kde problem, so I would have expected kcontrol to be
the place to fix it.  There I am completely unable to attach a
networked printer.  The menu items for server are greyed out.