[kde-linux] kmail send problem

Ernie Schroder schroder at ntplx.net
Tue Jan 10 03:12:06 UTC 2006

On Sunday 08 January 2006 13:54, a tiny voice compelled Paul Kaplan to write:
> I've never previously had a problem sending mail from kmail on this box
> (or any other) using kde since 1.0.  Most recently w/ kmail 1.8 I was
> fine from this box connecting to a POP3 server.
> Since upgrading to kde3.5/kmail1.9 I am able only to receive mail but I
> can't send anything.  I am met with "Transport protocol unrecognized.
> Unable to send message"  I can ping my smtp server and I am sending this
> e-mail from Evolution, so the box seems to be OK.
> Is this a bug?  If not, any suggestions?
> TIA
> Paul

I struggled for almost a week with the same problem after removing old
versions of KDE. I tried reinstalling kdepim, kdelibs, kdenetwork and
anything else that I imagined was even remotely related. I posted a couple of
times here but got no response.
Logs were telling me nothing of use, but on the hunch that it was a permission
problem, I started kmail as root and set up one of my accounts from scratch.
IT SENT MAIL.
I then closed roots kmail and opened it as user again. For the 3rd time, I
deleted my accounts and profiles. First I recreated the account that had
worked as root and I was able to send mail. The second account worked as well
after I recreated that.
Logic tells me that creating an account and sending mail as root, had nothing
to do with the solution, but, unless the Linux Gods had visited durring the
night, this was the solution. If you can confirm this, I would really
appreciate it.
--
Regards, Ernie