[kde-linux] Plastik default on 4.0

Steven Pasternak stevenp500 at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 3 17:19:15 UTC 2006

Joonas Niilola wrote:
> One good thing in KDE is that you can actually get/use the theme you
> want. I've never used Plastik as my primary theme.
>
> It's just that... everybody likes different things. For example I
> don't like the "new Vista look" but I bet many does, because
> kde-look.org is full of those kind of themes.
>
> Ok, so, I'm not so much to the "eyecandy"-stuff. So, why do I use KDE
> in general? Because of its usability. Yes and on that, Windows is
> still far behind (I think). Changing from virtual workspace to
> another, moving window from one to another and controlling your
> desktop with your keyboard.. and only with your keyboard. Can Windows
> beat this? With KDE my affairs stays in order. And besides, how much
> the new Vista eats memory compared to KDE?
>
> So my point: There might be one good thing in Vista, but there are
> lots of more in KDE. And come to think of it... you can get new
> Vista-theme to KDE with KDE-tools. If you want the KDE's practicality
> to Windows, you need some third-party-programs which eats more and
> more memory...
>
> This is how I see it. How do you see things?
>
> --
> Joonas 'Juippis' Niilola
>

> On 2/2/06, Steven Pasternak <stevenp500 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> (this is more of a general message, but I am not on the other kde lists
>>   ;-) )
>> Is plastik going to be the default look for KDE 4? I was looking at some
>> screenshots of Win Vista, and it (no matter how much you hate microsuck)
>> looks good. Don't get me wrong, plastik is a cool style, but it just
>> doesn't compete with win vista or OSX. For those of you who haven't seen
>> it, it is more of a glass-like look. I think that KDE 4 will need a
>> spectacular new default style to go along with the huge release.
>> -Steven

I completely agree. I have used kde for 3 years now and ditched windows
then. I just worry about new users FROM windows. I just don't want them
to think that it looks old or boring from first impression. I changed
from win2k to kde 3.1 (galaxy default on mandrake 9.2), and that is the
first thing I noticed about linux, that it looked really good.
-Steven