[kde-linux] Sound problem on Suse 10.1 64bit

James Loughner jwrl at charter.net
Mon Dec 25 23:56:15 UTC 2006

Running Suse 10.1 64 bit

problem

Skype connected to alsa

Skype has been running fine for months now I get "problems with sound
device" errors when I try to connect. I had this problem before. Solved
it by creating and running as a new user and all was good until now. I
really don't want to do that again.

Ok I admit this is a general problem also lost the sound in FireFox and
VMware. FireFox is also 32 bit (don't know what sound system
<http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#> it uses, alsa or OSS) VMware does
use the OSS. All the 64bit stuff works amarok games etc.

running Skype from the command line give the following errors when
trying to connect

ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:224make_local_socket) connect failed:
?Z/tmp/alsa-dmix-5541-1166814379-648050: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:895snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to connect client
ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:224make_local_socket) connect failed:
?Z/tmp/alsa-dmix-5541-1166814379-648050: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:895snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to connect client

anybody know how to fix this problem short of creating a new user???

the said file above exists and is owned by the user with all rights.
deleting said file ( ok I know it is a socket but all thing in Unix
<http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#> are a file) still nothing and the
32 bit apps do not recreate it or another socket.

I found the fuser command and

HeeHa found the fuser command

linux1:/tmp # fuser -v alsa-dmix-3177-1166935997-89997

USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
alsa-dmix-3177-1166935997-89997:
wizard 3177 F.... kdesktop
wizard 3179 F.... kdesktop

ps for noted processes
3172 ? 00:00:00 kwrapper
3174 ? 00:00:00 ksmserver
3175 ? 00:00:01 kwin
3177 ? 00:00:00 kdesktop
3179 ? 00:00:00 kdesktop
3181 ? 00:00:06 kicker

Why are there two kdesktop process here????

Why is kdesktop not releasing the sound socket??

Checking the same on the guest account ( where sound is working fully)

I find that there is only one kdesktop process and the alsa-dmix-xxx
files are being released correctly

Any clue why two kdesktop process are now running in my default user
account????

removing either of the kdesktop processes stops them both. hmmm

the desktop <http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#> goes away but the panel
at the bottom remains. typing kdesktop brings the desk top back
(suprise). Two processes again????? slight difference one is associated
with the session in the console window.

Taking down the kdesktop removed the alsa-dmix-xxx file associated with
the current user. Restarting did not bring it back. So no sound at all.
apperently the the socket file is created during the session startup
process then used by all sound programs.

does anyone know where kdesktop gets invoked when a session is started
and the sound socket gets made??

gogalthorp