[kde-linux] KDE screensaver and monitor blanking

Andreas linuxdreas at dslextreme.com
Fri Dec 22 11:34:21 UTC 2006

Le jeudi 21 décembre 2006 01:07, Dale a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have a question.  I don't usually log out of KDE when I am done or
> going to bed.  I have it set up to go to screen saver then turn the
> monitor off after a while longer.  My question is this, when the monitor
> turns off, does the screen saver continue to run or is it cut off too?
> In other words, is the screen saver using CPU cycles or does it  get
> stopped as well?
>
> I ask this because I run folding.  The screen saver I use also takes up
> some CPU time.  I don't want the screen saver running and taking up CPU
> time while I am running folding if the monitor has powered off.
>
> Just not sure how to find a answer to this one.  I can't start top and
> then let the monitor cut off and hit q on the keyboard because it will
> pick up on that when waking back up.  Thought someone may have a answer.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)

You can see here what happens when you leave the computer on at night:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jvdkuyp/flash/see.htm

on a more serious note: if you have access through ssh from another computer
you could "sneak" in and check with top or ps what's going on.
Or just use a blank screen for a a scre     ensaver.
Or... make a little script that grep's for you screensaver in the process
list:

#! /bin/bash
while test 1 = 1; do
  date +%Y%m%d-%T >> ps.log
  ps -A | grep -i [name of your screensaver] >> ps.log
  sleep 10
done

(I'm not sure if the script would be working out-of-the-box, most likely you
will have to finetune it).

--
Gruß & Happy Holidays
Andreas