[kde-linux] KMail 1.9.1 Flaws

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Sat Aug 26 14:49:54 UTC 2006

On 25 Aug 2006, at 10:27 , Steve Evans wrote:

> On Friday 25 August 2006 18:10, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
>> I just got around to upgrading my office system to SuSE Linux 10.1
>> and ran into a problem with KMail 1.9.1.  It is seriously flawed.
>>
>> I use multiple systems.  Although I have several laptops, most of the
>> systems that I use are servers or desktop systems.  I have SuSE Linux
>> running on most of them.  In this environment, I want all sent mail
>> and drafts stored on the IMAP server along with all of the folders
>> where I store mail.  I don't want anything stored on the system that
>> I happen to be using at the moment.
>>
>> While there were some issues with KMail 1.8.x, it did behave as I
>> would expect an IMAP client to work.  With KMail 1.9.1, however,
>> there seems to have been a shift in perspective from an IMAP client
>> accessing mail on a central server to a POP3 client where all mail
>> and folders are maintained on the client.
>>
>> The KMail configuration options no longer allow me to specify where
>> my mail folders are located, i.e. <IMAP_server>/~mcc/Mail.  I can't
>> change the properties of "sent-mail" and specify that messages that I
>> send are to be stored in <IMAP_server/~mcc/Mail/sentmail or change
>> the properties of "drafts" to store mail that I'm composing in
>> <IMAP_server/~mcc/Mail/postponed.
>>
>> Yes, I do have systems that do not have KDE or KMail.  On those I use
>> Pine.  In my environment it is critical that everything be stored on
>> a central server.
>>
>> Now, the big question:  What changes can be made to kmailrc to
>> restore the KMail 1.8.x behavour or do I have to switch to yet
>> another user mail agent?

Steve, Jan, Justion,

I gather from your responses that I may have omitted a key point.  I
performed an "in-situ" upgrade from SuSE Linux 10.0 to 10.1.  During
the upgrade, .kde/share/config/kmailrc was changed to incorporate new
features.

When I first opened KMail after the upgrade, the folder panel
correctly showed the two IMAP servers that I use:  an IMAP account on
my site's local mail server and an IMAP account on a corporate
Microsoft Exchange server.  What was missing were all of my mail
folders that were maintained on the local IMAP mail server.

Using the Settings>Configure KMail>Accounts>Modify, I couldn't find
any options that would allow me to set the path to my mail folders
for the account on the local IMAP mail server.  Where I recall that
there had been a Advanced button or box where I could set the path,
there were a group of boxes for "name space".

I did find a way to gain access to my IMAP servers by modifying the
kmailrc file.  Immediately following [Account 1], three variables (0,
1, 2) were added before the Folder variable.  By changing the line
1="" to 1="~/Mail/", all of my existing folders would appear in the
folder panel.

In the "Local" section of the folder panel, a right-click on the sent-
mail icon allowed you to change the properties and re-define it to be
located on the IMAP server.  This didn't work after the upgrade.

Anyway, my plan is to add "prefix=/~/mail" following the
"precommand-" statement in kmailrc when I return to work on Monday
and see what happens.

The KMail documentation doesn't appear to have been updated during
the upgrade, what are the namespace variables supposed to represent?

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net