[kde-linux] KMail 1.9.1 Flaws

Steve Evans stevee at gorbag.com
Fri Aug 25 17:27:41 UTC 2006

On Friday 25 August 2006 18:10, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
> I just got around to upgrading my office system to SuSE Linux 10.1
> and ran into a problem with KMail 1.9.1.  It is seriously flawed.
>
> I use multiple systems.  Although I have several laptops, most of the
> systems that I use are servers or desktop systems.  I have SuSE Linux
> running on most of them.  In this environment, I want all sent mail
> and drafts stored on the IMAP server along with all of the folders
> where I store mail.  I don't want anything stored on the system that
> I happen to be using at the moment.
>
> While there were some issues with KMail 1.8.x, it did behave as I
> would expect an IMAP client to work.  With KMail 1.9.1, however,
> there seems to have been a shift in perspective from an IMAP client
> accessing mail on a central server to a POP3 client where all mail
> and folders are maintained on the client.
>
> The KMail configuration options no longer allow me to specify where
> my mail folders are located, i.e. <IMAP_server>/~mcc/Mail.  I can't
> change the properties of "sent-mail" and specify that messages that I
> send are to be stored in <IMAP_server/~mcc/Mail/sentmail or change
> the properties of "drafts" to store mail that I'm composing in
> <IMAP_server/~mcc/Mail/postponed.
>
> Yes, I do have systems that do not have KDE or KMail.  On those I use
> Pine.  In my environment it is critical that everything be stored on
> a central server.
>
> Now, the big question:  What changes can be made to kmailrc to
> restore the KMail 1.8.x behavour or do I have to switch to yet
> another user mail agent?
>
> Merton Campbell Crockett
> m.c.crockett at adelphia.net

That's odd, I'm using kmail 1.9.1 with an imap server with no problems. It
reads my email from the imap server and writes a copy of all sent mail to the
server.

In the configure dialogue in Accounts section I have one account that is set
to type imap. If I use the Add button to create a new account the first thing
it does is display a dialogue asking what type of account. Among the choices
is imap, so it certainly seems to support it.

In the Identities section of the configure dialogue I can set the sent-mail
folder to a location on the imap server in the Advanced tab of the dialogue
that appears when I select Modify...

This is using kmail under Gentoo. Perhaps SUSE have made some changes that
have broken imap? Perhaps some library that it needs is not installed?

Steve
Steve Evans            E-mail: mailto:stevee at gorbag.com
                       WEB:    http://www.gorbag.com
Registered Linux user #217906: http://counter.li.org
Public Encryption Key:         http://www.gorbag.com/public-key.html

Now playing: Blur - Song 2

2.6.17-gentoo-r4 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linux

 18:16:18 up 6 days,  9:52,  2 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.84, 0.89

When I drink, *everybody* drinks!" a man shouted to the assembled bar patrons.
A loud general cheer went up.  After downing his whiskey, he hopped onto a
barstool and shouted "When I take another drink, *everybody* takes another
drink!"  The announcement produced another cheer and another round of drinks.
	As soon as he had downed his second drink, the fellow hopped back
onto the stool.  "And when I pay," he bellowed, slapping five dollars onto
the bar, "*everybody* pays!"