[kde-linux] Background wallpaper not being set

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Aug 24 04:40:50 UTC 2006

David J Iannucci wrote:
> OK, I'm starting to get irritated because it's been like this for some
> days... the wallpaper image I set in kcontrol as my background image is
> not being set - it's just solid blue. I've tried resetting it, and all
> the obvious stuff, but no effect. Do I have to wipe out some file
> somewhere to get this thing's attention??
>
> I'm running SUSE 10.1 on a Thinkpad T42. Oh, and I had been messing
> around recently with dual-display settings in SaX2, if that makes any
> difference.

I presume that you mean that you opened the KDesktop KCM and in the
"Background" section chose: "Picture" in the "radio".  And then clicked
on the list and selected a picture.  And, nothing happened.  I really
hate it when that happens. :-)

Have you had any other configuration problems?

Sometimes such problems are caused by an ownership or permission problem
with $HOME/.kde/share/config/ or the files in that directory.  Unless
you are setting up for security, the directory and the files in it
should by owned by the user account.  The directory permissions (as set
with the KDE dialog) should be: "Can View & Modify Content" for the
owner.  The files in the directory should have "Can Read & Write" for
the owner.

In case you are new to KDE, to get there you right click and choose:
"Properties".  Then in the dialog box that should pop up, choose the:
"Permissions" tab.

--
JRT