[kde-linux] Mechanism that mounts USB flashdrives

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Aug 12 21:04:19 UTC 2006

Jim Philips wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 August 2006 19:31, David J Iannucci wrote:
>>> From start to finish I would like to understand the whole process if
>>> anyone is patient enough to clue me in or point me to a FAQ somewhere
>>> that explains how it all works under KDE.
>> I would really like to know this stuff, too.  I have looked around but
>> haven't been able to find this information, and have been rather
>> frustrated by it at times.
>>
>> However, I suspect this is a base OS issue, and not related to KDE
>> directly.  No?
>
> I thought maybe it was something to do with my distro. But I now have it
> working flawlessly in Gnome. And it still doesn't work in KDE. I even rebuilt
> all of KDE once I verified that DBUS and HAL were set up properly to work
> with Gnome. But the KDE control center still has all HAL-related options
> grayed out. This suggests to me, at the very least, that the feature is
> poorly implemented in KDE. Either that, or I just hit the right combination
> for Gnome and the wrong one for KDE out of sheer random luck.

I can't find any good documentation either.  The KDE HOWTO is very much
out of date as is another one that I found with Google.  There is no
TLDP HOWTO. :-(.

I am afraid that you are correct that this is another example of KDE
kicking something out the door in a *stable* release (nothing wrong with
doing this if they had development releases like GNOME does) before it
was really ready for prime time.

Fortunately, I find that the old style manually created device icons
still work perfectly.  So, that is what I did -- switched back to them.

--
JRT