[kde-linux] Mechanism that mounts USB flashdrives

Jim Philips briarpatchkid at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 8 23:53:44 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 19:31, David J Iannucci wrote:
> > From start to finish I would like to understand the whole process if
> > anyone is patient enough to clue me in or point me to a FAQ somewhere
> > that explains how it all works under KDE.
>
> I would really like to know this stuff, too.  I have looked around but
> haven't been able to find this information, and have been rather
> frustrated by it at times.
>
> However, I suspect this is a base OS issue, and not related to KDE
> directly.  No?

I thought maybe it was something to do with my distro. But I now have it
working flawlessly in Gnome. And it still doesn't work in KDE. I even rebuilt
all of KDE once I verified that DBUS and HAL were set up properly to work
with Gnome. But the KDE control center still has all HAL-related options
grayed out. This suggests to me, at the very least, that the feature is
poorly implemented in KDE. Either that, or I just hit the right combination
for Gnome and the wrong one for KDE out of sheer random luck.