[kde-linux] KDE /usr/lib? for x86_64 machines

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Aug 6 02:20:21 UTC 2006

Rod Butcher wrote:
> I upgraded to a AMD 64bit dual processor and installed Mandriva 2006
>  x86_64. No problems. I then took the opportunity to upgrade to KDE
> 3.5.4 and started compiling from source like I normally do. I
> discovered that even though I set libdir=/usr/lib64 for configure
> (for some reason Mandriva chose this) the configure script ignores
> this and hardcodes /usr/lib.

Setting --libdir=/usr/lib64 only controls wheres things are installed.
So, that isn't how you tell it to build 64 bit.

KDE won't work if it is sliced and diced -- it must all be installed
with the same $PREFIX, so you shouldn't use the "--libdir=" option
alone.  I suggest that you first "make uninstall" and then remove your:
"config.cache" file and try it again without the "--libdir=" option.

This may not fix the problem, but it isn't going to work with the KDE
libraries installed in one place and the rest installed with the default
$PREFIX (/usr/local/kde).

--
JRT