[kde-linux] kde specific dual head problems

Thu Aug 3 16:12:21 UTC 2006

Hey,

I've found a message from Steffen Jost posted on 2006-05-12 that
describes the same problem I'm currently having (I'm posting them
again below).

Is there any possibility of fixing those? I don't think I could help
much from the programmer point of view, but I'm willing to help in any
way I can to solve this. Whom should I talk to?

Regards,

--Toshiro
http://www.perlhowto.com

Some examples of problems:

  - Why is there no keyboard-shortcut for switching between the screens?
(Ok, I found a little non-kde application to switch thanks to google,
which I bound to a keyboard shortcut now, but I would expect that to be
a very common problem!)

  - Most KDE Control Center Settings on Screen 2 will come to effect
only after a reboot (Panel settings, Keyboard Shortcuts, etc. Screen 1
works fine though.)

  - Keeping the screens separate is nice, but sometimes I would like
certain since to work across screens (e.g. some keyboard shortcuts: like
changing the screen, or changing the amaroK-volume with amaroK running
on screen1 while working on screen 2. It is really awkward to grab the
mouse for just that!).

  - Why is it impossible to open a KDE control centers on each screen?
(I needed to copy many settings manually from screen 1 to screen 2, so I
constantly opened and closed control centers left and right...)

  - Why is it impossible to transfer a window/program from one screen to
another? X should allow to redirect a window of a program anywhere, so I
would expect KDE to offer something to easily do this on a multihead
display, like "sent to" for virtual screens..