[kde-linux] Display problem on Mandriva Linux, startkde won't start

SnapafunFrank Frank at snapafun.co.nz
Thu Aug 3 11:25:40 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 August 2006 16:27, Amaral, Meisi (Cont, ARL/SLAD) wrote:
>
>> Hi, Anne:
>> Thank you for the tips. Your assumption is right. I am actually managing
>> to launch Mandriva, just not in GUI.
>>
>> I see lilo at boot time, I tried hit Esc, then type "linux noapic
>> noapic", it shows GUI Mandriva Linux logo then crashed with "Xset:
>> unable to open display".
>>
>> I tried as root type "export DISPLAY=":0.0", then echo $DISPLAY shows
>> ":0.0". When I type "startkde" is still complain
>> Startkde:starting up....
>> Xmodmap: unable to open display ':0.0',
>> startkde shutting down,
>> klauncher:exiting on signal 1,
>> startkde:Done.
>>
>> XFDrake didn't work either.
>>
>> One the same system I have windows XP on it and it works fine on
>> display. My monitor is plug & play monitor, I have two Display adapters
>> 128MB ATI RADEON x600SE. Maybe I shouldn't set it to :0.0, but I don't
>> know what else to set.
>>
>> Any suggestion will be great help, Thanks,
>>

> I'm out of ideas, now.  I can only suggest that you go to the Mandriva website
> and sign up for the Expert mailing list (expert at mandrivalinux.org), then mail
> them telling them about the hardware and the steps you have tried to solve
> the problem.  Someone there should recognise what's happening and be able to
> help you.  Good luck.
>
> Anne

Sorry for seeing this thread so late so forgive me the questions if they
have already been asked.

1. Did you once have this working ?

2. Have you installed the nVidia driver ?

3. Did you update your kernel ?

If no to any of these questions then my experience will not be of help
to you.

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!
Regards