[kde-linux] KDE 3.5.4 questions

Jim Philips briarpatchkid at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 3 01:31:38 UTC 2006

I downloaded Slackware packages for KDE 3.5.4. The release notes tout support
for HAL (with no real mention of how you would actually make use of this
feature). Anyway, I opened kcontrol and went to Peripherals-->Storage Media.
That seems to be the right place to set it up. But when I click on the
Advanced tab, it claims HAL was not found on the system and the button to
enable it is grayed out. I do have HAL installed on this system. So, what
might make KDE believe it's there?

Also, does anybody know of a way to undo what was done to the menus in this
version? I used to have nice, compact menus in Kmenu. Now each category
sprawls all over the screen. I would really like to disable this "feature" if
at all possible.

I've been a loyal KDE user since 2.0, and I don't like to carp. But if you're
bragging about a feature in a release announcement, you might at least
provide a link to explain how it's supposed to work.