[kde-linux] Cannot stop kmail from automatically starting on login

John Andersen jsa at pen.homeip.net
Tue Aug 1 05:14:03 UTC 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 17:01, Brett Randall wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've checked literally everything I can. I've been using Linux for 10+
> years so know my way around, but I cannot see for the life of me why KMail
> keeps starting.
>
> Things I've checked:
>

> * ~/.kde/share/config/session contains no kmail or kontact files,

To get around tasks that seem to hang around, I've done all the tasks
you mention.  The above is where I've found stuff lurking in the past that got
restarted
upon login.

You can generally trash everything in that directory, with the exception
of kgpg_......    There can often be dozens of entries in there, and they
do tend to slow down session initialization.  I which the KDE people would
document these things.  Why don't they write a little advisory in these
directories as they create them?  They think nothing of leaving hundreds
of these little files around never cleaning up after themselves, but then
get all stuffy about writing a little advisory file where you can find it if
you need it.

If i get some hangers-on, I always kill off any tasks I don't want, then do a
log-out, End Current Session, because I've been lead to believe that is when
the running task list is saved.

> "Start with an empty session", KMail still  starts.

That's just not right...

--
John Andersen