[kde-linux] Cannot stop kmail from automatically starting on login

Brett Randall brett.randall at hillsong.com
Tue Aug 1 01:01:54 UTC 2006

Hi all

I recently upgraded to KDE 3.5.0 from KDE 3.3. I use Debian Sarge 3.1, and
upgrading to the Debian Backports version of KDE.

Prior to KDE 3.5, I used Thunderbird as my e-mail client. I now use KMail as
it appears to be a lot more stable than previous versions with my Exchange
server over IMAP.

Problem is, KMail starts automatically upon login every time. KDM is my
Display Manager if that matters.

I've checked literally everything I can. I've been using Linux for 10+ years
so know my way around, but I cannot see for the life of me why KMail keeps
starting.

Things I've checked:

* ~/.kde/Autostart is empty
* ~/.kde/share/config - doing a grep kmail and grep kontact on all rc files
(including ksmserverrc) shows nothing. It did initially, but I've deleted all
instances of kmail and kontact from all kde rc files
* ~/.kde/share/config/session contains no kmail or kontact files, and a grep
reveals that these files don't contain anything about said applications.
* In Control Center...KDE Components...Session Manager...On Login, I have
tried "Restore Previous Session", then closed all applications, and killed
all kmail and kontact related processes, then logged off and back on. KMail
starts. Trying "Restore manually saved session", killing all processes,
manually saving session, logging off and back on again, KMail starts. "Start
with an empty session", KMail still starts. I've even put "kmail:kontact" in
Applications to be excluded from sessions and it still starts.
* I've turned off the kmail system tray icon in KMail settings in case somehow
the system tray was starting kmail when it started, hasn't helped though.
* I have no .xinitrc or .xsession files of any kind that start kmail
* Grepping for kontact or kmail in /etc/kde3/* shows nothing.

Short of renaming ~/.kde3 and starting from scratch, I don't know where else
to look for why kmail keeps starting on login. Anyone see any places I've
missed looking?

Thanks in advance.
--
Brett Randall
Systems Engineer

The material contained in this email may be confidential, and may also
be the subject of copyright and/or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this
document is prohibited. If you have received this document in error,
please advise the sender and delete the document.

This email communication does not create or vary any contractual
relationship between Hillsong and you. Internet communications are not
secure and accordingly Hillsong does not accept any legal liability
for the contents of this message.

Please note that neither Hillsong nor the sender accepts any
responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan the
email and any attachments.

Hillsong
www.hillsong.com