[kde-linux] executing python program from desktop link

Chakkaradeep C C chaks.yoper at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 12:19:07 UTC 2006

Hi Kevin and all,

On 4/11/06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 13:50, Chakkaradeep C C wrote:
> > Hi Kevin and all,
> >
> > On 4/11/06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> > > One possible reason for this can be a different environment setting.
> > > For example if you set or change environment variables in the user's
> > > shell configuration files (e.g. bashrc) then a program running in a
> > > terminal will
> > > see this change, but a program running in the KDE environment won't.
> >
> > Please find my attached bashrc file along with this mail.Am using Fedora
> > Core 3. Is any settings in this file affecting me?
>
> That depends on your python application.
> and bashrc is just one of those files read by interactive shells but not
> by
> the shell executing startkde
>
> Do you start you Python application as an executable or do you pass it as
> an
> argument to the python interpreter?
> Did you try using full paths?

Here is my netagent.dekstop file,

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=NetAgent
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=/usr/local/home/chakkaradeep/netagent
GenericName=NetAgent
Icon=SuSEconf
MimeType=
Name=netagent
Name[en_US]=netagent
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DCOP-ServiceType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

Without having Terminal=true, the application doesnt come up. in the above ,
i have it as false and so my app does not come up.

I have checked with other friends where they have tested and its working for
them.

Cheers,
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>
> Qt/KDE Developer, Debian User
> Moderator: www.mrunix.de (German), www.qtcentre.org

Regards,
C.C.Chakkaradeep,
Novatium Solutions Limited,Chennai.
http://www.novatium.com
http://www.yoper.com

--
"Sometimes it's better not to ask - or to listen - when people tell you
something can't be done. I didnt ask for permission or approval. I just went