[kde-linux] Installing KDE-3.5.2 from source on Debian - no working libxext

Andrew Walbran qwandor at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 00:55:49 UTC 2006

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:23 pm, Mark Ness wrote:
> Pollywog wrote:
> > On Friday 07 April 2006 11:59 pm, Mark Ness wrote:
> >> Is libxext even the same as libXext? I have libXext but not libxext
> >> (case sensitive)?
> >
> > I thought the names of Debian packages were always lowercase, though
> > files contained by the packages can have uppercase letters:
> > ii  libxext-dev                     6.9.0.dfsg.1-4                    X
> > Window System miscellaneous extension libr
> > ii  libxext6                        6.9.0.dfsg.1-4                    X
> > Window System miscellaneous extension libr
> >

> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.4
> >

> It was just a thought. This is my first "REAL run" at Linux and it is
> Fedora (dabbled with
> Mandrake 10 for a short time).
libXext.so.6.4 is the name of the actual file (a shared library), libxext is
the name of the Debian package containing it. The equivalent package for
Fedora Core may have a different name. I think the relevant command to check
for this package under Fedora Core is 'rpm -q libxext', but I haven't used
Fedora Core for a while so could be wrong.

--
Andrew Walbran
website: http://user.interface.org.nz/~andrew/