[kde-linux] konstruct questions

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Thu Sep 29 05:00:11 UTC 2005

I would like to build and install KDE 3.5 beta1 with Konstruct.

In konstruct readme file I find this info regarding the PATH variables, and I
wonder, how do these affect the current KDE version i have installed.

Will I be able to choose between kde 3.4.2 and 3.5 beta1 sessions, or do I,
while leaving my default KDE installation intact, CHANGE the variables, so I
can launch only the 3.5 beta1 ? If so, how do I get those variables back, to
start the default KDE session?

Below is the section from readme..

--
Donatas Glodenis

===================================

After installation
==================
After installation you have to set some variables allowing your system to find
KDE binaries and libraries and KDE to allow to find its own files, for Bash:

  export QTDIR=~/kde3.5-beta1
  export KDEDIR=~/kde3.5-beta1
  export KDEDIRS=~/kde3.5-beta1

  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/kde3.5-beta1/lib
  export PATH=~/kde3.5-beta1/bin:$PATH

Setting KDEHOME too, e.g. "export KDEHOME=~/.kdetest", will tell KDE to save
your settings to this directory and leave default ~/.kde directory unaffected.

On shadow password systems you have to set $(prefix)/bin/kcheckpass SUID root
or SGID shadow - otherwise you will not be able to unlock a locked desktop.

The complete KDE desktop is started with "startkde", most distributions start
it if you set it to the WINDOWMANAGER variable in your shell initializations.