[kde-linux] Battery monitor ACPI settings problem

Rosenstrauch, David david.rosenstrauch at csfb.com
Wed Sep 21 15:16:39 UTC 2005

Hi.  A few months ago I was able to successfully set up the KDE battery monitor on my laptop so that I could use it to do software suspend.  However, somewhere along the way, as a result of various package upgrades, this functionality no longer works.

Although I can go into the battery monitor configuration utility, and can access the ACPI settings tab, all the checkboxes on that panel are disabled for me - even when I try to use the helper application - and so the battery monitor won't provide functionality for suspend.

I am able to click on the helper application button (it gives me some error about checksum, but I am able to ignore it by hitting continue), it eventually prompts me for a root password with which to do a setuid on the klaptop_acpi_helper util, and the setuid is successful, but nothing seems to happen after that.  The checkboxes stay disabled, and all the related functionality (e.g. suspend) is not available.

I'm currently using kernel v2.6.12, and KDE v3.4.1 (on a Dell Latitude LS laptop).  I can't recall in which versions the functionality was working though.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it?

TIA,

DR

http://www.csfb.com/legal_terms/disclaimer_external_email.shtml