[kde-linux] Problem Running Program in a New Session

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Sat Oct 29 17:45:56 UTC 2005

Hi,
I'm using KDE 3.3.

I'm having trouble doing something that used to be easy in KDE 3.2. I need
to make a link on my desktop to run Nautilus (I know, it's Gnome) in a NEW
SESSION each time I run it.

In KDE 3.2, I just made a "Link to Application" and In the command area of
the Link, I wrote:

su myusername --login --command="nautilus"

In the Advanced Properties of the link, I selected "Run in Terminal"

When I clicked on the link, a Konsole terminal would open, asking me for my
password. When I entered the password, Nautilus would open as a "new session".
 That is, any changes that had been made in membership to Linux Groups would
be  reflected in what directories in Nautilus I could access.  (In other
words,  if I had been added to a group, and the group had write access to a
directory,  now I could have write access to the directory through Nautilus).

Then, when I exited from Nautilus, the Konsole terminal would close and
everything would be great.

However, when I do the same thing in KDE 3.3:

a)  Nautilus doesn't seem to run as a new session, and if I have been  added
to a Linux group that has write access to a directory, I don't get write
access in Nautilus. I would have to either log out of KDE and log back in, or
reboot the computer.

b)  When exiting Nautilus, the Konsole terminal does not close.

Can anybody give me a solution to both of these problems?

Thanks in advance.