[kde-linux] No aRts in KDE 4.4?

Jes Hall jhall at kde.org
Fri Oct 28 02:46:52 UTC 2005

On 28/10/2005, at 8:00 AM, James White wrote:

> I have heard that aRts will be replaced in KDE 4.
>
> Can someone tell me what will be the replacement sound system in KDE?
>
> Personally, I use aRts by choice.  But I assume that we're getting
> something
> even more powerful.  Perhaps someone has improved on the original
> aRts code?
> Or will we be using ALSA now?
>
> I just cannot shake this fear however, that because of the lack of
> documentation on aRts and the subsequent deluge of unanswered
> complaints, we
> will now be given a lesser sound system - one that does not require
> that you
> "rt(n-e)fm" (read the non-existent manual) in order to make it run.

There is no need to get started with FUD about KDE4 already! It's a
very long way away, and arts is not going to get replaced with
anything that isn't better.  There would be no sense in that.

JH

---
KDE Frequently Asked Questions:
http://docs.kde.org/en/HEAD/kdebase/faq/

panic("esp_handle: current_SC == penguin within interrupt!");