[kde-linux] No aRts in KDE 4.4?

James White james at resolutionit.ca
Thu Oct 27 19:00:45 UTC 2005

I have heard that aRts will be replaced in KDE 4.

Can someone tell me what will be the replacement sound system in KDE?

Personally, I use aRts by choice.  But I assume that we're getting something
even more powerful.  Perhaps someone has improved on the original aRts code?
Or will we be using ALSA now?

I just cannot shake this fear however, that because of the lack of
documentation on aRts and the subsequent deluge of unanswered complaints, we
will now be given a lesser sound system - one that does not require that you
"rt(n-e)fm" (read the non-existent manual) in order to make it run.

Is there an expert out there who can give us (me) a heads-up about what is to
come?  Is there a site with this info on it already?

ps.  Are there REALLY problems with aRts?  I just haven't found any yet on my
dozen or so KDE systems.  I run SKYPE and xmms simultaenously without loss of
any notification sounds.  Running Quake is seamless - I suspect that I may
lose KDE sound during gameplay, but how would I know... I'm PLAYING! :-)

--
James White

"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of
their C programs."
     -- Robert Firth