[kde-linux] Booting Into Run Level 5

Dave Nebinger dnebinger at joat.com
Thu Oct 20 00:53:57 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 03:03 pm, Stephen P. Molar, Ph.D. wrote:
> I have successfully run konstruct with 3.5beta2 (SuSE 9.3).  I went with
> the default installation site, a subdirectory in a user file tree.  I can
> boot in run level 3 by running a batch file that sets the paths
> appropriately.
>
> My question is how can I boot my system, as a user, in run level 5 using
> the same batch file?

Not so easy, but I guess it would be doable.

Edit your /etc/init.d/xdm (kdm, gdm, whatever) and put your path modifications
in before the actual kickstart of the kdm app.

Note that just defining the path for launching executables does not guarantee
that you're using all 3.5 stuff.  Unless you've also set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH
appropriately, shared libraries come from system paths defined
in /etc/ld.conf.  Unless you did this, I wouldn't be surprised if you had
some sort of mix between 3.5 and whatever the installed version happens to
be.

Dave