[kde-linux] trashed my ~/kde3.3/lib directory

Anders Damm anders.damm at bornet.net
Fri Oct 7 09:07:05 UTC 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 09:53, Mark Longridge wrote:
> Hi Anders,
>
> Well I solved my problem... by installing
> kde 3.4.2 with the konstruct utility! So
> now I have upgraded kde with konstruct twice,
> once to 3.3 and now to the 3.4.2 version.
> It took about 24 hours but at least I can
> now check out the latest version.
>
> All worked smoothly but I had to do three
> extra steps at the end:
>
> chgrp -R user ~/kde3.4.2
> chown -R user ~/kde3.4.2
>
> plus I also had to:
>
> chgrp -R user /var/tmp/kdecache-user
> chown -R user /var/tmp/kdecache-user
>
> In my case user was actually cubeman which is
> what I always use. Then I rebooted and presto
> it all worked. By the way I am still using
> Fedora Core 1 but that didn't seem to be
> any problem.
>
> I don't know what a cookie file looks like
> with respect to kde but I learned not to mess
> with ~/kdexx.yy/lib . There are over 220 megs
> of files in that directory and I don't know
> what they all do so clearly I need to be more careful
> and NEVER execute "rm *". Maybe I can make
> them read-only but for now I just backup that
> directory!
>
> Mark
>

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:06:15AM +0200, Anders Damm wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 October 2005 15:59, Mark Longridge wrote:
> > > Hi KDE-linux folks,
> > >
> > > I did something rather careless (typing rm * in the wrong directory)
> > > and erased all the files in the ~/kde3.3/lib directory.
> > >
> > > Needless to say kde3.3 will not run now.
> > >
> > > I originally installed kde3.3 via the konstruct utility
> > > and it looks like all the work files are still there.
> > > Is there an easy way to regenerate these files?
> > >
> > > I tried "cd meta/kde;make install" like the README says
> > > but it just says it's all done and it doesn't copy any
> > > files to ~/kde3.3/lib .
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Mark

Hi Mark
Well, that's the other way to solve it ;). Haven't used konstruct for some time now
(switched to Suse after many years vith RH/Fedora), but konstruct do have som directorys
that is named cookie (or somting lik that).
In thos directorys ther are files that indikate the status of the konstruct build: configure, build and install,
if I recal ok.
Removing av "install" file and running make will reinstall the files (no config and no compilation).
Nice to no to the next time ...

Regards
Anders