[kde-linux] kwallet/kmail

John Layt john at layt.net
Sun Nov 27 17:54:03 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:01, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> Kwallet is a real PITA. Every time I open kmail, it asks me for the
> password for the wallet and then I still have to enter passwords for my
> email accounts. I would like to disable kwallet for kmail, or if I can't do
> that, I'd like to disable it all together. How can this be done?

Hmmm, don't get that here, it only asks me first time kmail starts and that's
it for the rest of the session.

You should be able to configure the behaviour in kwalletmanager, which is in
the KDE Control Centre under Security/KDE Wallet.  In the 'Wallet
Preferences' tab make sure you have turned off all the Close Wallet options.

Next look in the 'Access Control' tab to see what the policy is for
kontact or kmail by expanding the 'kdewallet' item.  The policy should be
'Allways Allow', it sounds to me like yours is probably set to 'Always Ask' by
mistake.  You can't change this in the gui for some reason, so delete it
instead and the next time you start kmail it will ask you for the policy to
use in the future, choose 'Always Allow' and you'll only ever be asked when
you first start kmail.

Alternatively, un-tick the box for 'Prompt when an application accesses an
open wallet' and you will only ever be asked for the wallet password for the
first application to access it, all further accesses after that won't even be
checked.

Finally, if you really want to turn the whole thing off, the options there in
the 'Wallet Preferences' tab.

Cheers!

John.