[kde-linux] globally using an input method engine

D. Levi Durham levi.durham at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 01:42:22 UTC 2005

-- snip --
> I've tried that, but it only works for when applications are launched
> from a terminal (like Konsole), not the K menu. Please let me know if
> I'm misunderstanding something about your process.
>
> Thanks!
> Joe

startkde weather started from the command line or from kdm/gdm/xdm is a shell
script run with sh (which on most linux systems is an alias for bash). To
check weather the environmental variables for scim were available, I added
the following line to startkde and started a new session:

echo `set|grep -i scim` > ~/kdescimenv

receiving the output in the specified file:

GTK_IM_MODULE=scim QT_IM_MODULE=scim XIM_PROGRAM='scim -d' XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM

Further, to double check that the variables were available, I ran the
following, from the mini-cli of course, as it shares the same environment as
the rest of kde:

kdialog --msgbox "`set|grep -i scim`"

giving me:

BASH_EXECUTION_STRING='kdialog --msgbox "`set|grep -i scim`" '
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
QT_IM_MODULE=scim
XIM_PROGRAM='scim -d'
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM

So it works here throughout the environment, you may need to double check
that .bashrc is sourced from .bash_profile. I delete my install of kde from
svn every few weeks and recompile the whole thing, so i know i haven't messed
with anything there, and i did an 'emerge -uDev world' not to long ago and
nothing stopped working, so i assume any changes i ever made to the startup
scripts has gone away.

Also, I've found that LC_CTYPE no longer needs to be set to the auxiliary
language, in fact it caused a few problems, especially with Java. Which is
why i have LC_ALL set to en_US.utf8 in the script i shared. (if LC_ALL is set
the shell ignores all other LC_* variables set by the shell).

Best of luck, i know how big a headache getting this setup is.

D. Levi Durham
www.levidurham.com