[kde-linux] globally using an input method engine

D. Levi Durham levi.durham at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 06:52:15 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 November 2005 07:46, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 03 November 2005 14:30, Joe Friedrichsen wrote:
> > What is the best way to set these environment variables when KDE
> > launches an application? The Control Center (Regional and Accessibility)
> > area seems to be the best place, but I don't know if it gets this
> > specific.
>
> One possible option is to affect the whole KDE environment by putting
> export statements for those variables in a file read by the KDE startup
> script (for example files with .sh extension in ~/.kde/env)
>
> Another possibility would be to write a script that sets the variables and
> then starts the application and have the menu entry point to this script.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Joe,

As someone who has been through setting up exactly this on more than one
distro (and getting it wrong many a time). I offer my solution.

I have a file in my home directory called .i18n (i think i stole the name from
mandrake but i use gentoo, and this works on both) containing:

export LANGUAGE="en_US.utf8"
export LANG="en_US.utf8"
export LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
export XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"

i then source that file from .bashrc with the line

source ~/.i18n

Hope that helps,

Levi Durham
www.levidurham.com