[kde-linux] Repeat request: Getting 3.4 to save style

Andy Pieters mailings at vlaamse-kern.com
Sun Jul 31 13:17:07 UTC 2005

Hi

I know it can be a pain, having gone trough it myself on numerous occasions...

Mostly, I've found that the problems are with KDE's internals, and not so much
with the programs.  So what I do is start with a virgin ~/.kde dir and copy
back the configuration of the programs (kmail, amaroK, ksysguard,..).  When I
upgraded to Fedora Core 4 with redhat compiled kde (as oposed to my custom
kde build), I found that most of the configuration screens were not
appearing, and worse, that the settings I did do were very volatile.  All of
this was solved by letting the system recreate its ~/.kde but ymmv

HTH

Andy
On Sunday 31 July 2005 14:58, David Baron wrote:
> >This is usually due to configuration file incompatibilities between kde
> >versions.
> >
> >Try logging out of X, renaming your ~/.kde directory to ~/.oldkde and
> >restarting X.
>
> There is too mucn stuff in ~/.kde. I guess I would need to copy back the
> share, apps stuff. What specifically needs be touched here. Maybe I need
> rename one or two subdirectories.
>
> Debian upgrades have not required this but have had their share of foibles
> as well. I did the "konstruct" installation because the kmail had stopped
> working and it was not being fixed. 4.3.1 had a problem with Berkeley DB,
> 4.3.2 has a problem with Xinerama--these are suposed to be "stable".

Registered Linux User Number 379093
Now listening to System F - Out of the Blue

   amaroK::the Coolest Media Player in the known Universe!

   Cockroaches and socialites are the only things that can
   stay up all night and eat anything.
					    Herb Caen
--
--
Check out these few php utilities that I released

 http://www.vlaamse-kern.com/sas/