[kde-linux] kde and OpenSSL errors

Sean Turnbull sean at sean-turnbull.ph.rmit.edu.au
Thu Jul 28 07:41:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, andrew kar wrote:

> On Thursday 28 July 2005 13:48, Sean Turnbull wrote:
> > My kde from version 3 up till now used to compile
> > fine before I did something strange.
>
> I missed any earlier posts but you dont state here what the error is, only a
> list of warnings. You get those warnings because the symbols no longer exist
> in Open SSL 0.9.7 but were left in kde so as not to break older openssl
> installs.
> George Staikos fixed  the add_all_algo problem which was changed from a symbol
> to a define. The reason you are experiencing these errors now and not before
> could be either because George' fix was going to leave it printing a message
> or because this actual function was never called before but is now because of
> changes in kopete to access MSN which changed their protocol recently.
>
> See Bug 55102 for full report and always check bugs first before posting.

I have done many a search on the problem. I have recompiled openssl-0.9.7d
a few times and still get the error. The crash report from kopete is

Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread -1246891872 (LWP 21987)]
[KCrash handler]
#7  0xb4166063 in SSL_read () from /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7
#8  0xb75e2a87 in KOpenSSLProxy::SSL_read ()
   from /usr/local/kde/lib/libkio.so.4
#9  0xbfffdf10 in ?? ()

In my /lib dir I have
libcrypto.so.4 -> /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7
libssl.so.4 -> /lib/libssl.so.0.9.7 both are also in /usr/local/ssl/lib
Also  libcrypto.so.2 -> /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.6b and
libssl.so.2 -> /lib/libssl.so.0.9.6b and

Also when running konqueror when going ot a secure site I get warnings
about OpenSSL_add_algo... symbols not found

Obvioulsy I have done something to my system as like I said, kde 3.2.2 and
upwards has been fine from source.

I read the bug database also. It doesn't seem to help me though.

Sean