[kde-linux] XMMS, other apps, and the kde system tray

Matt `da Wolf mattdawolf at comcast.net
Tue Jul 26 13:45:19 UTC 2005

Hello. I've got a year of linux experince under my belt and this is my
first time with the list, so please bare with me. I am running Debian
Linux dist upgraded as of 3 days ago on a 2.4 kernel. I have a Windows
dual boot and I frequently use XMMS and WINAMP on either partition. On
Windows, I'm able to reach Winamp from the system tray without an entry
in the taskbar. I've given it some thought and there are some other apps
that could use this feature. Instead of becoming a XMMS issue, I thought
I'd ask if there are programs that pin things to the system tray in KDE
or if there are plans to build such a feature. Thunderbird could
definately reside in the system tray like on my Windows partition. I
just don't like my app bar extremely cluttered and having to go to
another desktop just to check Thunderbird. I'm trying to gradually shift
away from Windows with the philosphy that Linux should be able to do
anything that my Windows side can. Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Matt `da Wolf
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL??!!
WOLVES. LOVE THEM.