[kde-linux] scanner installation

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Thu Jul 21 18:34:49 UTC 2005

On Thursday, 21 July 2005 17.08, Stefan Fuhrmann wrote:
> okay, it seems that I need a driver for the scsi-card. But I don'
> understand this, cause on the sane webite it is a supported scanner.

Yep, the SCANNER is supported, not the SCSI card. Supported scsi cards can be
found for a few Euros on Ebay

> The scsi-card is a DTC-3181E.

From a 5 years old message I got:

Hi Christoph,

it is a bad scsi adaptor, but you may get it to work.

I'm afraid things did not change much!

Here:
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl5_sanescs.htm

I find:

NCR/Symbios 53c400/53c400a or Domex DTC3181E/L/LE (DTCT436/436P) ISA SCSI card
This card is supplied by Mustek (and other vendors). It's supported since
Linux 2.2. The SCSI cards are supported by the module g_NCR5380. It's
necessary to tell the kernel the io port and type of card. Example for a
53c400a: ``modprobe g_NCR5380 ncr_addr=0x280 ncr_53c400a=1''. Once the kernel
detects the card, it should work all right. However, while it should work, do
not expect good performance out of this card---it has no interrupt line and
therefore while a scan is in progress, the system becomes almost unusable.
You may change the values of the USLEEP macros in drivers/scsi/g_NCR5380.c.
Some documentation is in this file and NCR5380.c.

If what you want is "make this damned old scanner work", go ahead. If what
you're looking for is a working scanner, you'd better look for a good scsi
card (maybe I could dig one up somewhere) or look for a modern scanner. THey
are relatively cheap nowadays.

Thierry

Frank Zappa