[kde-linux] scanner installation

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Thu Jul 21 11:45:19 UTC 2005

I have attached a mustek usb scanner (one of the new ones) to my kubuntu
(KDE 3.4.1) powered machine with some effort.

There was nothing specially KDE-ish about installing it.

I had to:
* install sane and it's KDE frontend Kooka (you can also go for xsane)
* add the mustek firmware file for my particular scanner type,
* then tweak the Sane configuration file to refer to that firmware file.

Then it just worked (I hope I did not miss anything special).

You should find your own particular scanner on this page
http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html#Z-MUSTEK
and then read about it's backend and the man pages, perhaps - these:

http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/mustek-backend/
http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-mustek.5.html

And figure out what exact steps you have to take.

Donatas