[kde-linux] scanner installation

Stefan Fuhrmann stefan at fuhrmann.homedns.org
Thu Jul 21 08:09:37 UTC 2005

Am Donnerstag 21 Juli 2005 09:11 schrieb Thierry de Coulon:
> On Thursday, 21 July 2005 02.19, Stefan Fuhrmann wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm using Kubuntu and want to install an old scanner. On the liveCD I was
> > able to select a scanner in controlcenter. No I have installed kubuntu
> > and there are some missing entrys in control center like infrared and
> > scanner.
> >
> > I googeld a lot but cant find the information which package I have to
> > install to get a scanner running (okay sane but thats all).
> >
> > Can someone tell me which packages I need to install a scanner with KDE?
> >
> > -tia
> >
> > stefan
>
> First, you don't "install a scanner with KDE". If you have access to your
> scanner with Linux, you can use it with any user interface. So this is the
> way to go. Scanners are usually installed at the OS level (Yast for SuSE
> e.g., I don't know for kubuntu).
>
> Second, there are two ways I am aware of to get a scanner to work. The main
> (and inexpensive) way is to use SANE. Once SANE is working, there are
> several applications that can access it, Kooka being the KDE app I
> remember, although I never really used it. I use a commercial application
> named"Viewscan" that uses it's own drivers to access the scanner(s)
>
> Finally, if the above does not help, you should tell us what scanner you
> are using (brand, model). Its difficult to know what an "old" scanner is
> (some people would say a model from last year is "old"), but as a rule of
> thumb:
>
> - parallel port scanners are poorly supported
> - early usb scanners were often converted parallel scanners and fall in the
> same category
>
> Thierry

okay, the old scanner is a Mustek 600 II CD ( 5-6years old) and its supported
by sane. There is an isa-card (SCSI) for the scanner. When I do
"cat /proc/scsi/scsi"
root at ubuntu:~# ls -l /dev/sg*
ls: /dev/sg*: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden (this means "file or
directory not found"
root at ubuntu:~# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
root at ubuntu:~#
you see its emty. I have no idea what I should do know.
"modpdrobe sg" is okay!

Can someone can explain me what are the next steps to get it running?

tia
stefan