[kde-linux] scanner installation

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Thu Jul 21 07:11:52 UTC 2005

On Thursday, 21 July 2005 02.19, Stefan Fuhrmann wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm using Kubuntu and want to install an old scanner. On the liveCD I was
> able to select a scanner in controlcenter. No I have installed kubuntu and
> there are some missing entrys in control center like infrared and scanner.
>
> I googeld a lot but cant find the information which package I have to
> install to get a scanner running (okay sane but thats all).
>
> Can someone tell me which packages I need to install a scanner with KDE?
>
> -tia
>
> stefan

First, you don't "install a scanner with KDE". If you have access to your
scanner with Linux, you can use it with any user interface. So this is the
way to go. Scanners are usually installed at the OS level (Yast for SuSE
e.g., I don't know for kubuntu).

Second, there are two ways I am aware of to get a scanner to work. The main
(and inexpensive) way is to use SANE. Once SANE is working, there are several
applications that can access it, Kooka being the KDE app I remember, although
I never really used it. I use a commercial application named"Viewscan" that
uses it's own drivers to access the scanner(s)

Finally, if the above does not help, you should tell us what scanner you are
using (brand, model). Its difficult to know what an "old" scanner is (some
people would say a model from last year is "old"), but as a rule of thumb:

- parallel port scanners are poorly supported
- early usb scanners were often converted parallel scanners and fall in the
same category

Thierry

Frank Zappa