[kde-linux] Where can I find documentation on ~/Desktop files?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 20 01:21:33 UTC 2005

mbouchar wrote:
> Larry Alkoff wrote:
>

>>For each icon that appears on the KDE desktop, there is a corresponding
>>program_name.desktop file in ~/Desktop.
>>
>>Recently I found out it is possible to specify the title on the
>>application window Title Bar by adding a -title specification on the
>>Exec line thus:
>>Exec=/bin/win -title "Windows 98"
>>
>>So far I have found only one reference that discusses the format of a
>>.desktop file at
>>http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html
>>but it is incomplete.
>>
>>For example, it says parameters may be added to the Exec line but
>>doesn't way which ones so the -title trick above is not even mentioned.
>>
>>Is there anyplace to find documentation for the meaning of the various
>>lines in a .desktop file?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Larry
>>

> It's specific to each applications
> use "app --help" or "man app".
>
> title is specific to Qt applications.

I finally turned up some more information on a Google search of
"Qt command line switches".

To help others I'm reproducing the entire (short) text here:

Command Line Options for KDE programs
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Common+Command+Line+Options

The command line options which are available with every KDE program:

  Generic Options
  ---------------
  --help Show help about options
  --help-qt Show Qt specific options
  --help-kde Show KDE specific options
  --help-all Show all options
  --author Show author information
  -v, --version Show version information
  --license Show license information

  Qt Options
  ----------
  --display <displayname> Use the X-server display 'displayname'.
  --session <sessionId> Restore the application for the given sessionId'.
--cmap Causes the application to install a private color map on an 8-bit
display.
--ncols <count> Limits the number of colors allocated in the color cube
on an 8-bit display,
if the application is using the QApplication::ManyColor color specification.
--nograb tells Qt to never grab the mouse or the keyboard.
--dograb running under a debugger can cause an implicit -nograb, use
  -dograb to override.
--sync switches to synchronous mode for debugging.
--fn, --font <fontname> defines the application font.
--bg, --background <color> sets the default background color and an
application palette
     (light and dark shades are calculated).
--fg, --foreground <color> sets the default foreground color.
--btn, --button <color> sets the default button color.
--name <name> sets the application name.
--title <title> sets the application title (titlebar caption).
--visual TrueColor forces the application to use a TrueColor visual on
an 8-bit display.
--inputstyle <inputstyle> sets XIM (X Input Method) input style.
      Possible values are onthespot, overthespot, offthespot and root.
--im <XIM server> set XIM server.
--noxim disable XIM.
--reverse mirrors the whole layout of widgets.

KDE Options
-----------
--caption <caption> Use 'caption' as name in the titlebar.
--icon <icon> Use 'icon' as the application icon.
--miniicon <icon> Use 'icon' as the icon in the titlebar.
--config <filename> Use alternative configuration file.
--dcopserver <server> Use the DCOP Server specified by 'server'.
--nocrashhandler Disable crash handler, to get core dumps.
--waitforwm Waits for a WM_NET compatible windowmanager.
--style <style> sets the application GUI style.
--geometry <geometry> sets the client geometry of the main widget.
--nofork Don't run in the background.

Contributors to this page: Anonymous .
Page last modified on Thursday 16. October 2003 [18:48:34 UTC] by Anonymous.

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Slackware Linux