[kde-linux] Choice of RealAudio plugin and application in Konqueror

John Hunt john.kde at yoredale.uklinux.net
Fri Jul 15 20:37:16 UTC 2005

On Friday 15 Jul 2005 04:38, David P James wrote:
> On Thu 14 July 2005 14:22, John Hunt wrote:
> > I have some difficulty getting RealAudio streams to play successfully
> > in Konqueror. (Mandriva 2005LE, KDE 3.3.2, Konqueror 3.3.2)
>
> These should be doable from the same place, though because of the way
> the Real stream is embedded in a document the 2nd and 3rd may not be
> possible. At any rate, you want to open up Konq's Settings and go to
> File Associations. From the tree list select Audio | x-pn-realaudio.
>
> > 1. How do I get konqueror to use the nphelix.so plugin?
> Open the Embedding tab and move the NSPlugin to the top of the list (the
> Kaffeine plugin will probably be there right now). That should be
> enough. If the NSPlugin is not there then that is damned odd.

Changing x-pn-realaudio makes no difference, but moving NSplugin to the top
in x-pn-realaudio-plugin stops kaffeine working. Unfortunately the nsplugin
does nothing, it appears it does not work in konqueror for some reason.

> > 2. Alternatively, how could I get the stream to open in a standalone
> > application (eg kaffeine) instead of as a plugin?

> Make sure that Kaffeine is at the top of the Application Preference
> Order stack. Then in the Embedding tab check the "Show file in separate
> viewer" radio button. I think this will work but I haven't tried it.

I've tried that with x-pn-realaudio and  x-pn-realaudio-plugin. I doesn't
work - it appears that the  "Show file in separate viewer" setting is
ignored in this context.

> > How could I get this (*.ram) to play in eg helixplayer instead?
>
> Make sure that Helixplayer is at the top of the Application Preference
> Order stack. Then do the same as above in #2 for the Embedding tab.

This works, via x-pn-realaudio.

So, some progress, but I still can't play RealAudio in konqueror where the
web page is using a plugin.

  John Hunt, Stokesley, N Yorks, UK, http://www.yoredale.uklinux.net/