[kde-linux] volume automatically resets to zero in KDE

Suchit Jhunjhunwala jsuchit at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 01:13:12 UTC 2005

Solved the problem. Kmilo seems to be the culprit. Check kdeutils version.
If reinstalling/upgrading kdeutils does not help, go to Kmenu > Setting >
KDE Components > Service Manager and uncheck kmilo.You can manually
configure your keyboard to change the volume. The following configuration is
for dell inspiron 8600. Other notebooks can be configured similarly, I
guess.

Go to control center > regional & accessibility > key board layout : select
Laptop/Notebook Dell Inspiron 8xxx
now go to khotkeys
create new action "volume increase".  assign keyboard shortcut (in triggers)
fn+pageUp. Assign the command "aumix -v +5"
Similarly, for volume decrease, assign keyboard shortcut fn+pageDown and
command "aumix -v -5"
For mute, use kmix: open kmix, right click on master, and go to keyboard
shortcuts. enable the toggle mute shortcut for fn+End. Assigning volume
increase and decrease shortcuts from kmix didn't work for me, so i used
khotkeys for these purposes.

Suchit