[kde-linux] Help - KDE refused to start!

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Dec 27 18:18:13 UTC 2005

I have been running KDE 3.3 on Debian (kernel 2.4) for over a year with no
problems. This morning, whenever I boot into KDE I get the message "KDesktop
Error - Sorry could not find mime type application/octet-stream" and then the
desktop freezes. The mouse moves, but I cannot dismiss this error window nor
activate any other desktop or access the main KDE menu. I have to pull the
power plug to reboot the machine.

I booted into safe mode and looked at /etc/mime.types, and
"application/octet-stream     bin" is there.

The only change I made to the system last night was to add some file
associations for OpenOffice 2.0 using the KDE File Associations gui. I
installed Openoffice 2.0 from the Debian backports site and it has been
working for about 3 weeks now. However, the file associations for the new
OpenOffice file format were not present, so I thought to add them using the
KDE tool File Associations GUI (in the control panel, I think). I am sure I
did not delete the application/octet-stream file associations, but then
again, stranger things have happened.

How do I get KDE running again? What is the program name of the File
Associations tool in KDE. Perhaps I can run it and add back the
application/octet-stream association (assuming it is not there...just a
guess). Or, what file keeps these associations for KDE and can I edit it from
the command line?

Thanks!

BTW, I am stuck in low resolution GNOME until I get this fixed......please
help save me from these gnomes!!  ;-)
--
Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc