[kde-linux] Routing sound from one machine to another

Agron Selimaj agron at 7kosova.com
Wed Dec 14 06:08:18 UTC 2005

Hi

I have two machines one with many sound cards (I call it MultiMedia Machine -
MMM) and the another one with no sound cards (Power Machine - PM) at all.

Today I learned about this "Networked sound" feature which I got it to work
but not completely.

On the MMM I entered -u -p 5000 on the General tab of the Sound System from
KCentre

On the Power Machine  I set an environment variable
ARTS_SERVER=192.168.1.25:5000
and I checked off the "Enable sound system" from the General tab of the Sound
System from KCentre but on the PM machine.

Now commandline tools like artsplay and artscat do work. But nothing else
works. noatun complains about not finding artsd.

The other problem is that Sound System page does not come up anymore. I get
the hourglass spinning for a minute and then it stops an the Sound System
page never comes up.

What is the idea behind artsd? Is it to provide "networked sound" to all kde
applications or to its own command line tools only?

If not, what do I have to do to have notification sounds and other arts
compatible programs route their sound output to my MultiMedia Machine.

Thanks

Agron

--
Notice about 7kosova.com email server:
Starting January 1, 2006 OpenPGP Digital Signature will be required in order