[kde-linux] KDE 3.5 upgrade

Ernie Schroder schroder at ntplx.net
Tue Dec 6 17:53:17 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 11:50 am, a tiny voice compelled Werner Joss to
write:
> Am Dienstag, 6. Dezember 2005 17:25 schrieb Ernie Schroder:
> > I'm updating a gentoo box to kde 3.5 and one package that I need is
> > svgalib-1.9.23. Building that package dies with the following error:
> >
> > cc1: Permission denied: opening dependency file scripts/basic/.fixdep.d
> > make[2]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-gentoo-r1'
> > make: *** [default] Error 2
> >
> > OK so there's a fixdep, a fixdep.cmd and a fixdep.c, but no fixdep.d
> > at /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-gentoo-r1. Yes, I know the kernel is old but that
> > can't be the reason. Some help please? I've posted this to the gentoo
> > list but haven't gotten an answer.
>
> did you search forums.gentoo.org  ?
> a quick check shows there are several hits on 'svgalib kernel fixdep' -
> e.g. this: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=186587
> (I didn't check this out seriously, but I'm sure you will find something
> helpful).
>
> werner

Yes I looked at most of those forum comments. there is a lot of misinformation
there. of the few instances where the question was answered, the common
suggestion was to update the kernel. That is rarely a valid answer to
something like this but when people see that you're running an old kernel,
they grasp at straws. I did solve/work around the problem by disabling the
sandbox. Not elegant but usually effective.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free

 12:49:17 up 1 day,  3:31,  5 users,  load average: 1.36, 1.52, 1.88
Linux 2.6.5-gentoo-r1 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+