[kde-linux] dbus-launch in KDE

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Dec 4 13:13:12 UTC 2005

On Sunday 04 December 2005 03:07, Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
> --- Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> > I am not aware of any restrictions on the kind of
> > application autostart can
> > launch.
> >
> > Maybe it exited because it encountered an error. Did
> > you get any logs?
> > Does it start if you run it manually from a shell?
>
> Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply.
>
> I ran a small bash script from .desktop file which
> contains following code:
>
> if [ -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ]; then
>    eval `/usr/bin/dbus-launch --auto-syntax
> --exit-with-session`
> fi
>
> The --exit-with-session says close the dbus-launch
> once session is closed.

And this happens when the shell script ends, which will be almost immediately
after starting it.

Move your script to /usr/env, make sure it has an .sh extension

Files there are sourced by the startkde script, thus their lifetime is the
whole KDE session's lifetime.

Or use your own script without --exit-with-session

Cheers,
Kevin
--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>