[kde-linux] how to troubleshoot browser - http

brent brent.heard at ic24.net
Thu Dec 1 13:16:13 UTC 2005

Hi Laurie,

this sounds silly but (assuming you are using a router for connection) have
you tried powering down your router and restarting.

I'm fairly new to Linux and I have a home network of 3 linux machines sharing
a common internet connection through an ADSL router. The router has a DNS and
DHCP server built-in and sometimes it fails in a similar way. I find that
pinging machines on the local network will work, but pinging your ISP or
Google etc fails. So I agree with Jan its likely to be a DNS failure -
probably the quickest, simplest thing to do is hit the big switch.

You may also need to restart your client,
My system is mandrake, as root from the command line I would type
ifdown eth0
this stops the client.
Next I type,
ifup eth0
this restarts the client.

So for example on a working system with the client stopped using 'ifdown eth0'
if I should attempt to start a browser then I am able to reproduce your
problem.

good luck,
Brent