[kde-linux] Different .kde files for different hosts

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Aug 29 22:17:49 UTC 2005

James Bigler wrote:
> I looked through the manual from the KDE help system, and I didn't even see a
> mention of KDEDIRS.  The only place I've been able to find it was the Wiki page.
>   If you could point to a particular piece of manual that describes what you
> mean, I would appreciate it.

The environment variable: KDEDIR is set to the path where KDE is
installed (the global location).  That is, the script: "startkde" would
be in $KDEDIR/bin/.  All global things are referenced to KDEDIR (which
is the "prefix" if you installed from source).  Now if for some reason
you have such stuff in more than one place, you can use: KDEDIRS and
make a list of paths like you do for the PATH environment variable.

> If I want my calendar and stuff to be shared (like the alarms), couldn't I
> simply create soft links from ~/.kde-host1/share/apps/kalarm and
> ~/.kde-host2/share/apps/kalarm to ~/.kde-global/share/apps/kalarm?

Yes, symbolic (soft) links will work for such things, but they are still
a kludge.  There should be a clean way to do it without using links.  I
have some on my system and am trying to figure out how to avoid using them.

--
JRT