[kde-linux] Time to switch to gnome?

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sat Aug 13 22:03:45 UTC 2005

On Saturday 13 August 2005 10:18, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> Thomas Taylor wrote:
> > After three attempts to get help from this list or kde.org without
> > results, I'm about ready to switch to gnome.

> > Original configuration was using system-config-printer with both printers
>
> IIRC, system-config-printer is a Gnome application for RedHat distros.  You
> might also try posting to the appropriate RedHat list.  RedHat is
> unabashedly a Gnome distro... even if you choose KDE as your desktop.
>
> When you go to the KDE control center and then go to Peripherals ->
> Printers... click on the desired printer.  Then post all the information in
> the "Information" window to the list.
>
> Any general info about your CUPS config would also be helpful.  E.g. point
> a web browser to http://localhost:631/printers and report that info for the
> printer(s).
>
> Someone else also suggested creating a new user and testing that out.
> That's a good idea, too.  It helps to pinpoint the error.
>
> HTH!
>
> -Gabriel

Thanks James and Gabriel for the responses.

That this is not the only problem I'm having with kde makes me think that
something has munged some of the configuration files.  I'm also having
intermittent problems sending and receiving mail and with desktop changes.

I think at this point I will try re-installing FC4 and kde from the original
DVD iso.  I'm going to save the /home partition on a separate drive to do a
fresh install and then put config files back one at a time to see if there is
a problem in them.  Previously I had done a full install but with the /home
partition unformatted to save the information.

Thanks, Tom