[kde-linux] kde-linux Digest, Vol 29, Issue 12

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 15:33:29 UTC 2005

On Friday 12 Aug 2005 16:10, Charlie Bradley wrote:

> > > [snip]
> > > Did you try KDE "Print System" / "KDE Print Settings" / "Filter" and
> > > move your printer filter (here it's HP920C) from the left list into
> > > the right one? This did the trick for me.
> > >
> > > Cheer, Eike
> >
> > That made no difference when I did it several months ago.  Still set
> > that way, still not working.
>
> May I ask if you are using cups?  What kind of printer?  I have had a
> similar problem some time ago and upgrade CUPS.  Had to go to the print
> system menu and do the filter thing when I was done.  I also experience
> difficulty when using a HP printer.  You must have hplip_base installed,
> at least for debian. hope this helps.
> Charlie

I'm very puzzled by this whole exchange.  I have four virtual printers, in
reality just one with four different profiles set up, attached to a
file-and-print server, and I print from several other boxes to that one
printer.  I have no problems with kde apps.  The printer in question is an
HP printer.

As far as I know, all doing the 'filter thing' does is stop printers in the
left-hand column being shown as selectable if you have moved one or more
into the right-hand column.

What I have noticed, though, is that some apps prefer a different driver!
Three of the profiles are set up to use the hpijs driver and one to use
foomatic/Gimpprint.  I did this because I was not getting good printout
directly from Gimp.

Apart from that, the only problems I've ever had are:

Occasionally one printer fails to respond.   The CUPS admin tool shows
'Media Tray Empty' when it isn't.  The printer has to be 'stopped' and
started again before it will perform.

The 'filter=true' message shows up occasionally.  I haven't seen that for a
long time, but I've answered a message about this on another list today,
so it's obviously still around in some versions.  It's easily dealt with,
by removing the filter in the printer properties tabs.