[kde-linux] Correct way to remove USB Drive from KDE-Linux system

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 19:50:27 UTC 2005

On Thursday 11 Aug 2005 20:37, Bogus Zaba wrote:

> Thanks, that's very clear and more or less what I thought. What confuses
> the issue a bit is that our
> nice friendly desktop (KDE) detects when a drive is plugged in and runs
> the "mount" for you (I think). So the naive user (me) does not know that
> "mount" has been run and does not realise that "umount" needs to be
> done.
>
> btw, do you have to be root to run mount and umount. I think I have been
> told before now "you can't do this" when I've tried to umount.

To some extent it depends which distro/version you are using.  Mandriva,
for instance, offers Supermount, which intelligently mounts and umounts
for you.  OTOH, in the latest club edition, which has a later version of
hal than the d/l edition, you get a smart desktop icon that, with a
right-click, will allow you to umount it.  I'm sure that other distros
also have built-in handling methods, and it's true that it takes time and
experience to find out about some of them.