[kde-linux] Correct way to remove USB Drive from KDE-Linux system

Bogus Zaba bogzab at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 19:37:02 UTC 2005

Sagara Wijetunga wrote:

>--- Bogus Zaba <bogzab at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Is there a "correct" / safe way to remove a USB
>>drive from the system?
>>

>In Unix (Linux, etc):
>
>Correct way to attach: mount
>
>Correct way to remove: umount
>
>if you do not mount, you cannot access your drive
>(hard disk, cd/dvd, USB drive, camera, etc).
>
>If you do not umount before physical removal, you risk
>data corruptions.
>
>Sagara

Thanks, that's very clear and more or less what I thought. What confuses
the issue a bit is that our
nice friendly desktop (KDE) detects when a drive is plugged in and runs
the "mount" for you (I think). So the naive user (me) does not know that
"mount" has been run and does not realise that "umount" needs to be done.

btw, do you have to be root to run mount and umount. I think I have been
told before now "you can't do this" when I've tried to umount.

Bogus